Regrets have a way of holding you back that almost nothing else does. You could probably find the time, money, and energy to start that non-profit that is so desperately needed. Or you could get laser-like focused on pursuing God’s calling on your life. You might even get you and your family on the spiritual track you know everyone needs to be on.
But you can’t because you can’t get your mind out those chains of regret. The reality is that regret is a weapon that our enemy uses to keep us from moving forward into the calling that God has for us.
This is why acknowledging your regrets and learning how to defeat them is important.
The first 6 insane things about regrets and how to get past them
- Regret can keep you from moving forward because you are too focused on the past, but God wants you focused on the future He has prepared for you.
- Philippians 3:13 Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead,
- There is actually a good and bad kind of regret, you need to be able to distinguish the two. The worldly kind imprisons you while the Godly kind sets you free.
- 2 Corinthians 7:10 For godly grief produces a repentance that leads to salvation without regret, whereas worldly grief produces death.
- Your enemy wants to remind you of your sin to keep you from moving forward in victory. But God wants you to be confident in the fact that He has paid your sin debt in full.
- 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
- It’s easy to think that there is no coming back from mistakes that you have made. As a Christian, you can’t live as if life happens to you. You have to remember that there is a God who loves you and is working on your behalf.
- Romans 8:28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.
- Your battle with regret is a battle against your enemy the devil. You must be alert and ready to defeat his attacks with God’s Holy Word.
- 1 Peter 5:8 Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.
- Maybe you didn’t like the season you just came out of and much less the one you are in. Remember that God has appointed seasons for everything. So instead of finding reasons why you don’t like the season you are in, seek God for His purpose in the season you are in.
- Ecclesiastes 3:1 For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven: