Why Your Future Never Works Out the Way You Plan
Do you feel like your future never works out the way you planned?
And Maybe it’s that some things did work out the way you planned but not all of them.
Maybe you live somewhere completely different than you thought.
Or are maybe you are in a career you never imagined you would be in.
It might even be that you are headed in the direction you thought you would be but it’s taking you a lot longer than want.
So why is it that life happens this way? Why is it that your five-year or ten-year plan didn’t quite pan out?
My answer is that it’s because your life and plans are in God’s hands. Proverbs 19:21 states it this way, “Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand.“
So how should you respond?
1. Expect the unexpected. God has plans for you that might look a little or a lot different than you ever thought.
- Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
2. Acknowledge that He is God and you are not. And since it is God plans that will stand you will never know everything He has in store for you.
- Isaiah 55:8-9 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.
3. You should be leaning on God and trusting His wisdom and goodness. If you are constantly questioning God, it’s because you are trying to take in what’s going on around you through your own understanding.
- Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.
4. Don’t forget that God is the one who started the work in you in the first place and He has promised to finish it.
- Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.
5. Don’t forget that regardless of the bad you receive you have already received the greatest good. Which is Jesus Himself
- 1 Thessalonians 5:9 For God has not destined us for wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ,