The Simplest Way To Make Jesus Ineffective
The simplest way to make Jesus ineffective to those around us is to use Jesus as a means to something else. What I mean by this is that to some people Jesus is a one-time get out of Hell insurance policy and then a heavenly 911 call. Some get saved because they don’t want to go to hell and not because they desire a relationship with Jesus. After this stand-alone event called salvation Jesus’ name only comes up when things are out of control.
When others see this they begin to think that Jesus is simply some type of crutch that Christians use during difficult times. This representation keeps people from seeing Christianity as a relationship with Jesus. All they get to see is a hollow adherence to some religion.
So How Can We Avoid This
So how do we avoid making Jesus ineffective? I have a few suggestions.
- Stop using Jesus as a get out of hell free card, fire-Insurance, get-into-heaven card.
- Stop using Jesus is as a means to something else. He’s not a cosmic vending-machine or genie in a bottle.
- Start cultivating your relationship with Jesus through daily prayer and bible reading.
- Start seeing Jesus as a someone who wants a relationship and not blind, forced obedience.
- Start enjoying His presence. If people see that you find joy in Jesus, they will become curious.
Jesus Is More
Jesus wants to be your friend, Lord, and Savior. When you begin to live this way, Jesus will come alive. Then you can say things like this:
Psalm 27:4 (MSG)
4 I’m asking God for one thing,
only one thing:
To live with him in his house
my whole life long.
I’ll contemplate his beauty;
I’ll study at his feet.
You don’t say things like this about someone you don’t like or don’t know. You say things like this about friends and family. And it’s not until you see Jesus for who He is that you desire to spend time with Him. Jesus is the hope of the world. He does make a difference in those who surrender their lives to Him. So let’s become true reflections of His power in our lives.