Have you ever wanted to overcome an obstacle, learn a new skill, or improve in an area?
You have wanted it so bad you could taste it but you have always just been so intimidated by the process.
There is so much that could happen and it is so overwhelming that you just stay where you are.
Well, there is one thing that can help you in all of these areas.
One choice you make to move you further faster
- Elisha became a great predecessor to the prophet Elijah.
- Joshua became a great leader with Moses help.
- The disciples, with the exception of Judas, went on to be great influencers for the name of Christ.
- And Timothy became a great pastor because of the mentor he had in Paul.
So why is mentoring so helpful?
You can Learn from someone else’s mistakes
- Hebrews 13:7 Remember your leaders, those who spoke to you the word of God. Consider the outcome of their way of life, and imitate their faith.
It creates a sense of accountability
- 2 Timothy 2:2 And what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.
It gives you a visual of who you want to be like
- 1 Corinthians 11:1 Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ.
You need someone on the outside to tell you the hard facts.
- Proverbs 27:17 Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another.
There will always be someone wiser than you
- Proverbs 9:9 Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be still wiser; teach a righteous man, and he will increase in learning.
It will help you see your need to be a mentor to someone else no matter how old you are.
- 1 Timothy 4:12 Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity.
You can’t do alone
It will get you further faster
- Proverbs 13:20 Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm.
Don’t try to do it alone. God has placed people all around you that you can learn from. And with this I give a word of caution: don’t pick just anyone.
I’m thinking about following this post with some guidelines on how to find when finding a mentor. Let me know if this would be beneficial.