I love watching kids open their gifts. I love seeing their excitement and anticipation to know what’s inside the box or wrapper.
Have you noticed, though, how sometimes kids will get distracted and even forget to open a present?
Or have you seen, once they open a gift play with it a few minutes and then start playing with the box it came in?
Or worse, have you seen a kid go through all the presents and end of with a dissatisfied look because there isn’t more?
Christmas is on almost everyone’s mind, so I want to talk about gifts.
But it’s not the gifts you might be thinking about.
The gifts we have been given
John Calvin Once said, “It is not the will of the Lord that we should be like blocks of wood, or that we should keep our arms folded without doing anything; but that we should apply to use all the talents and advantages which he has conferred upon us.”
The gifts I am talking about are the Spiritual gifts God has blessed you with. He has given you skills, talents, abilities, and an inclination towards certain kinds of tasks and jobs for a reason.
The question is, are you making the most of those gifts?
God knows you better than you know yourself and created you first to find your satisfaction in Him and then to go and do the most with what He has given you. The perfect example in the Holy Scriptures is the story about the men who were given talents.
You have the option to complain about why you don’t have different gifts, to think you are under gifted, to completely ignore the gifts you have been given, or use those gifts for God’s glory.
The Simplest Ways to Make the Best of Gifts
- Use your gifts to serve others. God didn’t bless you with talents and skills so you could simply benefit from them. He wants you to serve people and the best way you can serve them is to steward the grace that has been given to you.
- 1 Peter 4:10 As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God’s varied grace:
- The gifts you have been given are just that, Gifts. They come from God. Your perspective changes when you realize that your skills and talents are a gift from above. They belong to Him so use them for His glory.
- James 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.
- You will realize that you have been given all you need when you change your attitude to one of gratitude. God didn’t have to bless you with any gifts, but He did. And for that reason, you should give Him thanks every day and maximize your gifts to bring glory to His name.
- Colossians 3:17 And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
Don’t let another year go by with gifts unwrapped, Don’t let another year go by playing with the package the gift came in instead of the gift itself. God has given you the perfects gifts for you.