What We Talk About When We Talk About Legacy
A definition I found online for Legacy says this: a thing handed down by a predecessor.
So the question is what are you handing down. And I think it should be more than something material like a piece of property or some financial inheritance. Those are good and Proverbs 13:22 actually tells us that, “A good man leaves an inheritance to his children’s children.”
While those are good things to leave, I believe you need to think about something more valuable than that.
I think you should be thinking about what kind of “life legacy” will you leave?
If you died right now what would your epitaph say?
A life worth imitating
We should all be striving to live a life that makes our friends, family, and Lord happy. Do you know how you are doing so far?
Ask yourself this question. Would I able to ask my friends and family to imitate me and feel good about it?
Paul was able to. Yes, the same man who was involved in the imprisonment and persecution of the early church.
Paul said it this way in 1 Corinthians 11:1, “ Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.” And then he said in 2 Timothy 2:2, “What you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.”
Paul was so confident in his pursuit of Christ that he could tell others to imitate him.
Could you or I say the same?
How to live a life worth imitating
- Make it a point to talk about what God has done in your life to the next generation. Whether it be your kids, someone younger than you or maybe someone you are mentoring.
- Psalm 78:4 We will not hide them from their children, but tell to the coming generation the glorious deeds of the Lord, and his might, and the wonders that he has done.
- Anything we do for the Kingdom of God is worth living and dying for.
- Matthew 6:20-21 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
- Be part of building something that points people to Christ.
- Joshua 4:21-22 And he said to the people of Israel, “When your children ask their fathers in times to come, ‘What do these stones mean?’ then you shall let your children know, ‘Israel passed over this Jordan on dry ground.’
- When you live for you is when you end up living for vain pursuits that are not worth imitating or mentioning. Seek God. Obey His commands and He is faithful to keep His promises,
- Deuteronomy 12:28 Be careful to obey all these words that I command you, that it may go well with you and with your children after you forever, when you do what is good and right in the sight of the Lord your God.